My photo
I am a non-relevant, non-famous, average person, living in this world as a visitor with my real home in Heaven.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

If I could just touch His hem.

Have you ever seen someone at church during a song raise their hands in worship? I'm sure that is common to some that read this and not so common to others depending on the type of worship service you are accustomed to. Well for me it doesn't happen a lot though I suspect many in the crowd want to raise their hands in worship but peer pressure causes them to resist the promptings. Have you ever wondered why people raise their hands? I used to wonder what the person was thinking or feeling that caused them to raise their hands in worship. I am not sure what others think but for me I know why I have a desire to raise my hands in worship and its not so much raising my hand as it is reaching up for Jesus.

Sometimes I find myself in a place where I feel like I am dirty from sin, depressed from failing yet again in my Christian walk. When I have a repentant heart, I feel that if I could just reach up and touch His hem that I will be clean from this filthy state I'm in. It's not that Christ hasn't forgiven me or anything, in fact, its my short coming in feeling dirty for sinning even though He has already paid the penalty for me. Just like in Luke when we see two pictures of Jarius and woman that had been sick.

Luke 8:40-55 (English Standard Version)

40Now when Jesus returned, the crowd(A) welcomed him, for they were all waiting for him. 41(B) And there came a man named Jairus, who was(C) a ruler of the synagogue. And falling at Jesus’ feet, he implored him to come to his house, 42for he had(D) an only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she was dying.
As Jesus went, the people(E) pressed around him. 43And there was a woman(F) who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and though she had spent all her(G) living on physicians,[a] she could not be healed by anyone. 44She came up behind him and touched(H) the fringe of his garment, and(I) immediately her discharge of blood ceased. 45And Jesus said, "Who was it that touched me?" When all denied it, Peter[b] said, "Master, the crowds surround you and are pressing in on you!" 46But Jesus said, "Someone touched me, for I perceive that(J) power has gone out from me." 47And when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared in the presence of all the people why she had touched him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48And he said to her, "Daughter,(K) your faith has made you well; go in peace."
49While he was still speaking, someone from(L) the ruler’s house came and said, "Your daughter is dead;(M) do not trouble(N) the Teacher any more." 50But Jesus on hearing this answered him, "Do not fear; only believe, and she will be well." 51And when he came to the house, he allowed no one to enter with him, except(O) Peter and(P) John and James, and the father and mother of the child. 52And all were weeping and(Q) mourning for her, but he(R) said, "Do not weep, for(S) she is not dead but(T) sleeping." 53And they laughed at him, knowing that she was dead. 54But(U) taking her by the hand he called, saying, "Child,(V) arise." 55And(W) her spirit returned, and she got up at once. And he directed that something should be given her to eat.

I know exactly how the woman feels. There are many times that I feel like if I could just touch His hem, then I will be cleaner than before. I want so bad just to be with Christ and like Christ and without sin. He is the only way that we can be clean. I reach up because I want to worship and sin no more.

Jarius is a picture of what many of us today feel. Jarius saw what He and others thought to be the impossible and even laughed at Jesus. Even though in verse 53 it says They laughed at him, showing a lack of faith, Jesus showed his power over death by calling her spirit back to her. My point in mentioning this part of the passage is simple. There is nothing so bad, so wretched, so impossible that Jesus cannot fix it. If all hope appears lost we can cling to Jesus, we can reach for His hem. By the power of Jesus we are made clean, and we are made alive were we once were dead. Praise His Holy name.

When you feel down, or depressed, or frustrated just remember Jesus is there. All we have to do is reach to Him. Repent from you sin, and turn away from the old ways of our sinful lives. Turn to Jesus and follow Him. There is no greater joy than when we are following Jesus. So next time you are in church don't be like those that laughed at Jesus, or like the crowd looking for who touched Jesus. Have faith like the unclean woman made whole and the young girl that was dead and was made alive.

I know I have posted this before, but this time I want everyone to watch this video and see if you feel the desire to reach up for Jesus. Pray that He will make you clean, and renew your walk with Him. If you do not know Christ then I pray you will take this opportunity say a little prayer. Let Jesus know that you are a sinner and that you need Him. Tell Jesus that you believe that He died for your sins on the cross and rose again on the third day. Ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins and make you clean. Ask Jesus to be the Lord and Savior of your life and that you want Him to guide you in all you do. Amen. If you said this prayer please let me know by sending me a message so that I may pray for you, and assist you in finding a church home.

No comments:

Post a Comment