My photo
I am a non-relevant, non-famous, average person, living in this world as a visitor with my real home in Heaven.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Turning the other cheek

I did not truly know how caught up in the world I was until I read this passage.

Matthew 5:38-42

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’a]">[a] 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

This passage goes the opposite direction of my nature. It seems that, if I'm reading it right, we should go to the point of being taken advantage of willingly, to show the love of Christ. This is such an opposite reaction to what our modern American society would do. If we truly believed that this is how Christ wanted us to be, would we even need lawyers? Would we sue someone for calling us a bad name or if we accidentally poured coffee on our pants? The way I see it, this statement by Jesus is the epitome of loving your neighbor. If we saw a family member of ours being sued for their car and that family member not only gave their car but also paid them for gas in that car for the next year, we would call them crazy. That is, however, exactly what Christ said, is it not? I point to love being the motivation of for him saying this because of what he says in the next few verses.

Matthew 5:43-47


43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbora]">[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,b]">[b] 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethrenc]">[c] only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectorsd]">[d] do so?

Oh how easy it is to love those we get along with. Oh how easy it is to love our friends and family. But Christ calls us to love those we claim to have personality conflicts with. We are called to love even those that HATE us. That is my challenge, for my life. How can I love and pray for the terrorist that wants Jews and Christians dead? Lord, grant me strength to love all men as you do.

1 comment: